Sunday, February 24, 2013

It's Time For a Change

I am tired of seeing our fellow African American youth die. It has always been bad, but it is getting out of control. Black youth in the DC Metro Area are being murdered over the dumbest things. The most recent of the slayings involved a student from Suitland High School. On Monday, Charles Walker Jr. was killed for a pair of shoes. 5 men (all have been charged with first-degree murder) attempted to take Walker's shoes from him. The actual trigger man has not been identified, however, everyone admitted that they have played a role in the Walker's death. Walker's death was the second murder within a 24-hour period of Suitland's students. For more information, check out Charles Walker Jr.'s Murder.

This story is important to me because I lost a close friend to the same thing. It is stupid. That is the only way to describe it. It truly irritates me that it happens as frequent as it does. Anyone can be a victim in today's society. Earlier this week I was going towards Anacostia Station. When I was approaching the W2 bus stop, I overheard a conversation between two African American males.

Boy 1: "They walkin' back and forth and s***. They makin' it hot. I'm tryna get them shoes up off slim."
Boy 2: "I don't even want them, they don't look like my size."
Boy 1: "I don't give a f*** if I can fit them or not. I'm takin' them off his feet."

Conversations like that disgust me. What is the purpose of taking something someone else has? If you want it, work for it, and get it yourself. There is a definite problem with today's youth. Something has to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment